Archbishop Socrates B. Villegas attended primary education in Pateros, Metro Manila his hometown and finished secondary education at the Colegio de San Juan de Letran in Manila. He studied for the priesthood and received his degree of Master of Arts in Theological Studies at San Carlos Seminary in Guadalupe, Makati City. Ordained to the priesthood by the late Jaime Cardinal Sin on October 5, 1985 at the Immaculate Conception Cathedral in Manila at the age of twenty five, he served as personal secretary of the late Archbishop from his ordination until 2004. While keeping his post as personal secretary to the late Cardinal Sin, he also served as rector of the EDSA Shrine and Vicar general of the Archdiocese.
At the age of forty, the Servant of God Pope John Paul II appointed him auxiliary bishop of Manila on July 25, 2001. He received episcopal ordination from the late Jaime Cardinal Sin on August 31 of the same year.
He was installed as the third Bishop of Balanga on July 3, 2004. He is currently the Chairman of the Episcopal Commission on Catechesis and Catholic Education of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines and President of the Asia-Oceania Mariological Society.
He has written and published six books of homilies and spiritual reflections. He was awarded the 1994 Catholic Authors’ Award and the Ten Outstanding Young Men (TOYM) of the Philippines in the year 2000. The Bataan Peninsula State University bestowed on him the Degree of Doctor of Humanities honoris causa in recognition and appreciation of his work for the province of Bataan.
He is a member of the Secular Franciscan Order (SFO), the Sovereign Military Order of Malta and the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem. He was the Chief Executive Officer of the Tenth World Youth Day held in Manila in 1995 and the Fourth World Meeting of Families in 2002.
He is the youngest of the three children of Norma Jacinta Buenaventura and the late Emiliano Villegas.
Homilies and Talks
- Mary and Human Liberation. Homily delivered by Archbishop Socrates B. Villegas at the Mass on the occasion of the Second Asia Oceania Mariological Conference held at the San Sebastian Metropolitan Cathedral last September 9, 2011.
- Missing Cardinal Sin. Reflection during the renaming ceremony of E. Rodriguez St.(Mandaluyong City) to Jaime L. Cardinal Street, 31 August 2011.
- The Greatness of Manaoag. Homily delivered by Archbishop Socrates B. Villegas during the Mass held on July 22, 2011 on the occasion of the declaration of the Shrine of Manaoag as an affiliate of the Papal Basilica of Saint Mary Major.
- Alternative Holy Week.
- Passion for Stewardship. Meditation for Palm Sunday. 17 April 2011.
- Stewardship and Conversion. Lenten Meditation of Stewardship for Fifth Sunday of Lent. 10 April 2011.
- Stewards of Light and Life. Meditation for the Fourth Sunday of Lent. 3 April 2011.
- Renunciation and Fruitfulness. Meditation for the Second Sunday of Lent. 20 March 2011.
- Pillars of Stewardship. Meditation for the First Sunday of Lent. 13 March 2011.
- Owners or Stewards? Meditation for Ash Wednesday, March 9, 2011
- Salamat … Patawad… Pangako. Homily. 25th Anniversary of People Power I. 25 February 2011.
- Archbishop Soc’s Remarks during the Unveiling of Cardinal Sin’s Monument. 25 February 2011.
- That our Sacrifice may be pleasing to God. A Fraternal Letter to My Brother Priests. 31 December 2009.
- A New Year of Integrity. A New Year’s Message.
- Narito Po! Pastoral Letter to open the Misa de Gallo Masses.
- Salt of the Earth Homily delivered by His Excellency, Archbishop Socrates B. Villegas on the occasion of his installation as Archbishop of Lingayen-Dagupan, held last 4 November 2009 at the Cathedral of Saint John the Evangelist, Dagupan City at 10:00 am.